The Cubs were going to get Burnitz -- that is why they moved Sosa. The Cubs would rather deal with Sosa's antics than start a platoon of Jerry Hairston, Todd Hollandsworth, and Jason Dubois in the power corner OF positions. While I think the Cubs on paper are worse this year than last, I think Houston is significantly worse which means the Cubs should be contenders for the NL Central/Wild Card. The Mets and Phillies look good on paper but I am curious if they will actually produce.
(1) Significant players lost: Carlos Beltran, Jeff Kent, Wade Miller, and Dan Miceli (best setup man)
(2) Players gained: Trenidad Hubbard, John Franco, Dave Burba, and Turk Wendell (4 players who live in the MLB geriatric ward)
(3) Players who will be injured at the beginning of the season or recovering from major surgery: Lance Berkman, Andy Pettitte
(4) Ages of remaining star players: Roger Clemens (42), Craig Biggio (39), Jeff Bagwell (37), and Brad Ausmus (36).
(5) Good players who are not Methuselah remaining: Oswalt (concede, a good player), Lidge (will NOT repeat 157 K performance and has arm problems), Ensberg (I know Halladay was traded for this guy 2 years ago in our league, but .275/.330/.411 with his defense speaks volumes), and Backe (career ERA of 4.98, but feel free to hang your hat on 3 playoff games).
(6) The remaining defense of the new and improved Astros is Bagwell changing his stance (as though that will turn back the clock on his arthritis and will require no in-season adjustment period) and AAA players who are not rated highly in any of the major journals.
I could be wrong, but I don't see HOU returning to the playoffs this year. The Cubs may not make the playoffs, but they will be better than HOU, therefore having a better chance of making the playoffs.
2 Comments:
The Cubs were going to get Burnitz -- that is why they moved Sosa. The Cubs would rather deal with Sosa's antics than start a platoon of Jerry Hairston, Todd Hollandsworth, and Jason Dubois in the power corner OF positions. While I think the Cubs on paper are worse this year than last, I think Houston is significantly worse which means the Cubs should be contenders for the NL Central/Wild Card. The Mets and Phillies look good on paper but I am curious if they will actually produce.
By
Jacob Nelson, At
6:09 AM
Houston is significantly worse.
(1) Significant players lost: Carlos Beltran, Jeff Kent, Wade Miller, and Dan Miceli (best setup man)
(2) Players gained: Trenidad Hubbard, John Franco, Dave Burba, and Turk Wendell (4 players who live in the MLB geriatric ward)
(3) Players who will be injured at the beginning of the season or recovering from major surgery: Lance Berkman, Andy Pettitte
(4) Ages of remaining star players: Roger Clemens (42), Craig Biggio (39), Jeff Bagwell (37), and Brad Ausmus (36).
(5) Good players who are not Methuselah remaining: Oswalt (concede, a good player), Lidge (will NOT repeat 157 K performance and has arm problems), Ensberg (I know Halladay was traded for this guy 2 years ago in our league, but .275/.330/.411 with his defense speaks volumes), and Backe (career ERA of 4.98, but feel free to hang your hat on 3 playoff games).
(6) The remaining defense of the new and improved Astros is Bagwell changing his stance (as though that will turn back the clock on his arthritis and will require no in-season adjustment period) and AAA players who are not rated highly in any of the major journals.
I could be wrong, but I don't see HOU returning to the playoffs this year. The Cubs may not make the playoffs, but they will be better than HOU, therefore having a better chance of making the playoffs.
By
Jacob Nelson, At
5:00 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home